Friday, February 1, 2013

The World's Only Pickiest Conure

No pun intended, really. She does pluck her feathers and pick at her skin, but I mean that she is picky about food. She thinks the only worthwhile veggie to eat is mashed potatoes. A girl after my own heart...I love potatoes, too! But, I also eat a huge variety of foods, and I'm not a parrot!

Most conures are not as picky about their foods as Sisco is. Most conures love food of any sort. However, Sisco never got that memo. She even refuses Doritos! What parrot refuses a cheese covered chip?! None that I know of except Sisco. 

Anyway, since she is so picky I decided to add some vitamins to her water in the morning. And, I am going to introduce a few other veggies in her mashed potatoes like cauliflower and sweet potatoes. She doesn't get mashed potatoes every day. Maybe once or twice a week. I do give her a plate of fresh and/or steamed veggies and pasta every day, so it's not like she isn't exposed to the fruits and veggies and doesn't get a chance to eat them. Because, she does.

It's only been a week since I started adding vitamins in her morning water, and there hasn't been any changes that I can see. We are also still doing our steam bathes which I have noticed makes a huge difference if we skip a few days. (I don't skip showering, I bathe on some days just so you know I'm not walking around stinking up the place LOL)

The differences in Sisco's skin is amazing when we shower as opposed to when we don't. When we don't, it is red and irritated and she picks at it a lot more. When we do shower, it is nice and smooth, almost has an even tone to it.

I know from dealing with my son's severe eczema that Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine and the vitamins that I bought for Sisco has extra C in it, which is why I bought that brand.

When adding a supplement of any sort to a bird's water, it is important to watch carefully to make sure they are drinking that water. If it tastes differently or if it smells weird, they may refuse to drink it. I am watching Sisco to make sure that doesn't happen. It hasn't. She drinks. Another important fact is that vitamins lose their potency in water, so changing water often through out the day is a good idea. I don't add any more vitamins to her water when I change it through out the day, and boy howdy do I have to change it a lot! She is a typical conure to the point where she makes soup of her food and toys. *grin* I love my baby!

No comments: