Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sisco's First Bath

Without the vacuum cleaner and without being forced!!

Sisco never bathes on her own unless the vacuum cleaner is running. Even then, it isn't an every day event (bathing, not vacuuming cause with a house full of birds and dogs, vacuuming every day is a must). This morning, she was on my shoulder while I was sipping coffee, and she reached for it as if she wanted a drink. So, I offered her some fresh water in a yellow crock. She took a few sips then proceeded to splash with her beak. There was no way she could have bathed in that tiny little crock, so I got a bigger bowl and filled it with lukewarm water.

It took her awhile to actually start bathing. She dunked her beak in a time or 2, but I could tell that she wanted a bath, because she kept fluffing up her feathers and pulling my hair. When she pulls my hair, it is a big indication that she wants something and she wants it NOW! And I had best figure it out ASAP or I will be bald soon! God, how I'd love to be able to read her mind!

Once she started splashing around with her beak, then she dunked her head in, then she tested it with her toes a few times. Since the bowl was a see thru Tupperware bowl, she had a hard time judging the bottom of it. I had to hold the bowl up to her while she was still on my shoulder for her to get in it. Next time I will use a different bowl or hold something under it so she can see that it isn't bottomless.

Sisco tried to step into the bowl, but I do think she was scared that it was bottomless :( The one and only time that she stepped all the way, she got scared and that was that; she was DONE!

I am so happy that she did this!!! Now I can take a nice luxurious hot soak in the bathtub instead of a quick shower. 


No comments: