Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sisco Sissy Sissybug or Sis

Whatever you want to call her. She's my nekid Nanday Conure whom I love with unconditional love. I have to, she's nekid and I don't think that'll change any time soon. I have been trying new things out to see if I can get her to at least lessen up on the plucking. The other night I heard what sounded like a painful scream but since she is normally making some sort of noise, I didn't really think much of it. The next morning there was dried blood on the bottom of her cage and she has a sore under her leg. I don't want to put a collar on her, it won't change the fact that she plucks. I want to trade her bad habit of plucking to something better.

The changes that I am making:
Soaking bathes at least once a day.
Outside time if weather permits.
An occasional outing with me.
An occasional walk.
More veggies and fruit.
Different ponchos to deter plucking but to encourage playing as well.


She also gets my undivided attention at least 2 times a day. We sit and snuggle and she normally falls asleep on me. Once in the morning and once in the evening. Sometimes, if I'm not running errands or doing some work we will sit in the afternoon and she'll take an afternoon nap. If I'm not holding her, she doesn't nap.

Today she is playing with toys!! What's different today than any other day? Well, I am home and the curtains are closed. Nothing else is different. I don't get it.

I have to modify her poncho a little because it is too loose around the neck. She is able to get to her shoulders with this one on. She has plain ponchos for night time just in case anyone was concerned about her getting a bead stuck in her beak or something...

No comments: